Thursday, December 24, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I spent the majority of the day wrapping gifts!! You see, while I had done good buying all the gifts before Dec 1, they somehow didn’t manage to wrap themselves, and with all the other stress and drama-it hadn’t happened. Then, in the midst of my mad wrapping spree (Leroy said I had too many gifts up there-but really when you think about it-4 kids +1 hubby X a few gifts each-it adds up!!) I realized that supper needed to be made, and that there were no cookies for Santa (very important in our house!)-another thing that I had wanted soo bad for this year was to spend the month of Dec baking and doing crafts with the kids-didn’t happen-too much stress and mess-and-the cabbage rolls weren’t done yet (I’d done up a bunch with Gramma Ulmer, so I'd be ready-but then used them in “emergencies” such as a church potluck, and a nite when I was too tired to cook much). So I got supper started, (minute steak parmesan and mashed potatoes) as well as the makings for the cabbage rolls (fried the bacon, cooked the rice and grated the potato into the rice while it was cooking) and got the kids set up to make the cookies (soo glad my patience in cooking with them is paying off-I measured the ingredients for whipped shortbread into a bowl, handed Jesse the mixer, and then cut up the cherries for the top, and did the oven thing-kids did all the rolling, and cherry adding!). The kids said the cookies looked like “red nosed reindeer!”




We also tracked Santa using the Norad Santa tracker site-the kids got quite a kick out of it!!

Then the old dog had a sequence of accidents on the carpets that I had *just* cleaned the day before and then Wyatt, who had had a sick tummy all week, added to the disaster by upchucking all over it (maraschino cherry juice colour, naturally!) so I spot cleaned all that, had supper, made sure everyone layed out their stockings before tucking the kids into bed, and heading out to do chores (I do like doing chores a bit later on Christmas eve-there's a tale that the animals can talk at midnight, and, while I haven't caught any gabby gatherings yet, it's a neat feeling watching them chew their feed peacefully, and thinking back to that first Christmas night). Now it's back into the house to finish wrapping presents and arrange them under the tree, feed Daddy the shortbread cookies the kids had laid out, and have him drink the big glass of egg nog they'd filled for him! (Good thing Daddy/Santa likes eggnog!)


Crazy day and crazy night! But it's finally beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!

No comments: