Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day 2011

We didn't do anything "special" per se. Both of us were too tired for flowers and chocolates and dates....
But the beautiful, Spring like day we were gifted with lifted spirits-for me, there's something magical, about being pregnant, and the excitement and expectant feeling brought by fresh spring air...
Leroy wanted me to come see the calves his cows had produced at the farm. One calf looked gaunt, like it hadn't nursed, and his dam's udder was tight and shiny on all four quarters, taut teats sticking straight out. Leroy caught the cow, an older, but good looking, and fairly quiet Hereford, and haltered her-no easy task on the slippery footing the drastic weather changes we've been experiencing, had produced. He then tied her up and offered her some grain. I helped milk her a bit, to ease the pressure. The calf was resistant at first, to the idea (I think maybe the cow's udder was so tender she'd pushed him away a few times), but soon, we were able to convince him, the smell of milk on my hands probably helped entice him, and I would let him suck on my fingers, then place them on the cow's udder, where he would transfer his attentions. When it looked like he was well on his way to being able to return to the udder on his own, we left the sweet pair, to go check if there were any other new babies. My fingers were still coated with calf slobber (that stuff is bionic! LOL!!), and as we walked, Leroy reached for my hand. He quickly pulled it away though, at the slimy feel of my hand!! I giggled, and then he helped me dry my hands on his jeans, and we continued on, checking for new bovine babies together...
Probably not what most people would describe as all that romantic! But it just felt so right, and was so enjoyable, working together as a team, just having time to be together on a beautiful day, while our busy children played in the snow just outside the corrals!

1 comment:

Lori-Dawn said...

Very cute story Vanessa! hee hee, love the slimy hand...LOL May ALL your days have SOME sort of romantic element to them, even if they are not the "mainstream" romance! It's the everyday stuff that matters!