Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hawked!

In keeping with my current retroblogging theme, I'm sharing an interesting incident that occurred this summer.




It was later in the evening, and I was heading into the hen house to pick eggs and feed the birds. Many of the silly things were huddled in the outside run, and it was fast nearing dusk. I commented to them what dumb birds they were, that they should go in immediately-why their death waited outside for them, from damp or owls!! If only they could have spoken, they would have told me how they'd rather take their chances out there, thank you very much!!




When I opened the door, a frightful sight greeted me!! MANY of my beautiful, heritage breed (read expensive!) young replacement layers, whom I had babied most of the summer, were massacred, on the floor of the henhouse. My eyes had barely adjusted to the shock, when I became aware of a flapping noise, coming at me. I quickly backed out, and slammed the door shut, then peeked back in. Much to my surprise and utter amazement, this sight greeted me:







My initial impulse was to rush in and wring the dang thing's neck right then and there, but-well, how often do you see a hawk sitting in your henhouse? So, I made sure it couldn't escape (who would believe me if it got away before I got a snap of it?) and ran for my camera.



I should also have taken a shot of the horror laying on the floor in front of me-while I don't think I will forget it that quickly, it would help illustrate the impact to you, dear reader.




You see, I don't think I would have been near as upset if this bandit had taken one or two birds for itself (all things have to eat, I suppose)-but it did in about 10, and left them on the floor of the pen. Why??



Oh, guess I should share how it got in too!! The only way it could have entered the henhouse-was to swoop down thru the small part of the outdoor that wasn't covered with net (ran out of netting, darn it all!) and walk into the coop just like a chicken!



Cleverly devious, that one!!

1 comment:

Lori-Dawn said...

LOL, love that post!
nice baby ticker!! hehe
You're almost at the 100 days left mark! woo hoo!!